- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (12 oz) diet black cherry soda – Splenda-sweetened preferred*
- 1/4 cup reduced sugar ketchup (if you can get sugar-free, use that instead)
- 3 TBS spicy brown mustard
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 TBS Jamaican scotch bonnet pepper sauce (I use Walkerswood)
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (not regular paprika)
Combine all ingredients and use as you would normally use BBQ sauce, for your favorite recipes.
You can adjust for taste by adding a bit of vinegar, sugar-free sweetener (Splenda), or more pepper sauce, as desired.
*Don’t use Nutrasweet, Equal, or any other sweetener containing aspartame when cooking, as exposure to heat causes it to break down and become bitter tasting.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through Amazon links appearing on this website.