My daughter has given up eating all red meat, for the new year. To help her with this endeavor, I made zucchini boats tonight, stuffed with my homemade turkey sausage.
These were made with some huge, mutant zucchinis, so they were more like aircraft carriers, than boats. 😀
- 4 medium to large zucchinis, stem end removed, and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 or 2 batches turkey breakfast sausage, uncooked (use 2 batches for mutant zucchinis)
- 1 TBS garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 firm, medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese (use 1/2 cup for mutant zucchinis)
- 1/2 – 1 cup shredded mozzarella (use 1 cup for mutant zucchinis)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (leave out, if you want it to be low carb) (use 1/2 cup for mutant zucchinis)
- 1 – 2 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian blend (use 2 tsp for mutant zucchinis)
- 2 or 3 eggs, beaten (use 3 eggs for mutant zucchinis)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, so they resemble boats.
- Place the zucchini boats in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Chop the zucchini flesh that you scooped out, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the turkey sausage, and cook thoroughly, chopping it up as it cooks.
- Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat and/or liquid, then transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Mix in the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Romano cheese, mozzarella, breadcrumbs and Mrs. Dash.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over top.
- Bake until golden brown on top, and zucchini is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes.
If you are using especially large zucchinis, cutting them in half may make them easier to remove from the pan and serve.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through Amazon links appearing on this website.