You are going to need a very large, sturdy microwave safe bowl for this, and a glass or ceramic plate big enough to use as a cover. And these will both need to fit into your microwave at the same time. If you have a smaller microwave, you might want to skip this recipe.
This is the bowl that I use for this recipe. It’s made of heat resistant tempered glass and works quite well in the microwave, for making rice dishes. Just don’t set it on a wet surface or damp towel while it is still hot, or it may shatter.
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups Uncle Ben’s parboiled brown rice (this is very different than regular brown rice)
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 3 tsp shrimp bouillon
- 1 handful frozen diced onions
- 1 handful frozen diced bell peppers
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- a few handfuls of frozen medium cooked shrimp (peeled, no tails)
- 1 LB turkey smoked sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 bag frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn, etc. the kind without potatoes)
- Combine all but last 3 ingredients in a very large ceramic or tempered glass bowl.
- Cook on high, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 3 ingredients.
- Cook on high, covered, for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving, or until remaining liquid has been absorbed by the rice.