This cake is on my list of the most awesome cakes, ever. It is baked in it’s own gooey chocolate syrup and is fantastic with ice cream.
This is not the kind of cake you bake as a gift for someone that has never had it before. They won’t understand it and will think you gave them a mess of a mistake when they look at it. Invite them over for dinner first, and serve it as dessert. Then they will understand and appreciate it, when you gift it later on.
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
6 TBS cocoa (divided)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 TBS oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup hot water
ice cream (optional)
1. Combine flour, sugar, 2 TBS cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
2. Stir in vanilla, oil, and milk until smooth.
3. Spread into an ungreased 9 inch square baking pan.
4. Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa and sprinkle over batter.
5. Carefully pour the hot water over the whole thing. DO NOT STIR!
6. Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
8. Top with ice cream, if desired.