You can make this stew with or without meat, simmered on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or even in an 8-quart pressure cooker (Instant Pot). You can feed a lot of hungry people with this one, and even more if you stretch it with rice, pasta, potatoes, or bread bowls.
- 2 28-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans water
- 2 8-oz cans mushrooms, stems and pieces (do not drain!)
- 4-5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup jarred garlic (minced or chopped)
- 1.5 LBS boneless beef cubes (chuck or round) (optional)
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut up
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut up
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut up
- 1 large eggplant, cubed (leave the skin on)
- 1 zucchini, cubed (leave the skin on)
- 2 12-oz cans tomato paste
- Combine all ingredients, except the tomato paste, and stir to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Cook according to the following chart:
|Method||Heat Setting||Time||Release Type|
|Stovetop||Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally||90 Minutes|
|Slow cooker||Low||8-10 Hours|
|Pressure cooker (8 QT)||High pressure||20 Minutes||Quick release|
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine thoroughly. The longer you stir it, the better it will be. So, don’t be in a hurry.
- Serve over rice, pasta, potatoes, or bread bowls, if desired.
Yield: Approximately 6.5 quarts